Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel
The mission of the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel is to:
- Ensure that the report and recommendations of the investigating unit are reasonable and appropriate under the circumstances
- Strengthen the partnership between citizens and the Prince George's County police by assuring the public that investigations of alleged excessive force, abusive language and/or harassment are complete, thorough, and impartial
- Issues reports to the Chief Administrative Officer
- Makes an Annual Report to the Public
- Makes recommendations to the Chief of Police
- Reviews each Internal Affairs Division investigation for thoroughness and impartiality
- Reviews reported complaints of excessive force, abusive language, and/or harassment
- 7-member citizen panel
- Created by County Legislation CB-25-1990
- Complete an official Complaint Against Police Practices Form No. 1072 (PDF) or prepare a written account of your complaint. The 1072 form is in all public libraries, the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel Office and all County Police Stations.
- Submit your complaint to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel or any County Police Station by mail or in person. You can also send complaints by email to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel.
- Reports should be filed as soon as possible. Complaints alleging excessive force must be notarized and filed within 90 days of the incident.
In 2015, the CCOP changed its annual reporting period to a calendar year to coincide with the Police Department’s data reporting cycle. However, due to remaining database restructuring issues, the 2015 calendar year report is delayed and will now be published online in October 2016. Going forward, a calendar year report will be published on online by March 30th, following the end of the reporting calendar year. Visit our archive center to see a list of prior annual reports for the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel. Hard copies and CD-roms of the most recent annual report are available upon request. Please contact the CCOP by phone at 301-883-5042 or by email.